Sunday, February 8, 2009

there is life outside your apartment

The past couple weeks have been a bit of a blur. We've been going out a lot. It's been snowing for days and it doesn't seem like it's going to let up anytime soon. Classes have been fine. Poor Dr. C is sick, but hopefully he'll get better soon.

On Monday, Kate, Trish, and I went to this black tie dinner at Brasserie Blanc. Little did we know that it was hosted by the Keble Christian Union. Haha. It was still fun. The Christians here seem to know how to party. We pregamed at the Duke of Cambridge bar, went to dinner (which was delicious), then had more drinks at Raoul's (another cocktail bar). We had a lot of fun and met some nice people. Plus, we love being fancy.

On Friday, Kate, David, and I went to London to see Avenue Q at the Noel Coward Theatre. I've been listening to the soundtrack on loop, pretty much. We left the house around 11ish, since I was finishing up my International Organizations paper. After taking the bus into town, we stopped by the library to look up our ticket info., then we went to the cafe for paninis. The walk to the train station wasn't bad, save for the iced-over snow. We managed to buy tickets and hop on a train within 10 minutes.

The train ride to Paddington took a million years, it seemed. Then we took the tube to Tottenham Court. We had tapas and wine at a restaurant/pub, then wandered around the British Museum. We ended up at another pub (I really wish my camera hadn't run out of battery, so I'd remember the names of the pubs & such, haha). There was a group of older women from Manchester sitting next to us. They started singing "Sherry" and other oldies songs, so Kate and I joined in, as we'd been drinking since earlier that afternoon. Haha. Turns out, they were on their way to see Jersey Boys at the theatre across the street. We bonded. I feel like that group of women was like Coven 14, 30 years from now. Side note: room 14 is now known as the Coven or Coven 14, since David said we're like a group of crazy witches. Haha.

After downing the rest of our wine, we crossed Leicester Square and found the Noel Coward Theatre after having to ask three or so people where it was. Haha. Avenue Q was a.ma.zing! The play satirized Cookie Monster, Bert & Ernie, and other Sesame Street & Muppet characters. And yet all of the songs call everyone out. I also loved that the landlord was Gary Coleman (not in actuality, but the character was Gary Coleman, haha).

We got back around midnight, which was a lot earlier than we'd expected to get back. I'd decided before going to London that I was going with Erika and Kelli to Bath early on Saturday morning. I ended up going to bed around 3AM, then waking up at 7:30AM and hauling ass to the kitchen to eat something before we had to leave for the train station. We convinced Ann to come with us. We thought we were going to miss our train, but it ended up being delayed because of the snow. I also was sickly with a stomach bug, which sucked, but Ann got me alka seltzer and I felt a lot better.

We had to take the bus from Didcot to Swindon, where we took another train to Bath. Bath is a beautiful city. We saw the Roman Baths, the Pulteney Bridge, the Royal Crescent--that's where they filmed part of Jane Austen's Persuasion--and the Jane Austen Centre. We had a great time. And I got fun souvenirs for people. Particularly, Mr. Darcy-related ones.

Today, I've just been bumming around and doing laundry. I'm excited. Andrea's coming to Oxford on Friday. We're going to stay at The Tower House, which is in the City Centre. We're probably going to do lunch/dinner then hang out with the girls and go out. I can't wait! And my birthday is coming up. Nine days until I'm 21! Not that it matters here. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment